Wednesday, October 15, 2008

A Few of My Favorite Things....



In light of the dismaying news regarding the economy, the wrangling of electioneering in the days before November 4, and the sorry state of our family checkbook, I decided today after morning prayer as I wrote in my journal to "simply remember my favorite things, and then I won't feeeeeeel soooooo baaaaad." (Imagine Julie Andrew's lovely voice and curtains wrapped about her pert blonde head in The Sound of Music.)

So here is a list of my favorite things which took two full pages of my journal to list (in no particular order, of course):

English country cottages and gardens
Candles burning in darkened rooms
Jonathan playing our piano

Scripture
The sound of the breeze blowing through the tree tops
Tea cups and tea pots
Old clocks

1928 Book of Common Prayer
Original manuscripts written by famous authors
Old dusty, musty books
British tea

Hymns
Caramel
Art museums
Old stained glass windows
Sheets fresh from the clothesline
The scents of lavender and rosemary crushed between my fingers
Dip pens (with wooden handles and fine metal nibs)
Sepia ink
Journals
Religious icons, esp Russian and Byzantine
Handwriting notes/letters with a dip pen
Kneeling in prayer
Old churches
Fire in a fireplace/wood stove
England/the UK
Crucifixes
Fountain pens
Monasteries
Autumn
A capella singing
Receiving handwritten notes/letters
Responsive readings of Scripture, esp Psalms
Wine used in Communion rather than grape juice
Silence
Confession
Handsewn quilts
Front porches
Dachshunds' soulful eyes
Going barefoot
Boston Cream Pie
Sign of the Cross
Spinning wheels
Picnics
Old buttons
Oceans, lakes, rivers, streams, creeks, etc.
Snickerdoodles fresh from the oven

....I'm sure I can keep going, but I'll stop for now.

And yes, I DO feel better. Much better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin