Saturday, May 26, 2012

Positively Buried


I apologize for not posting much this semester. But life has been crazy, and I have been positively buried.

In fact, I don't remember ever quite being THIS crazy-busy before.

Since the first of the year, I have been teaching solidly for Brave Writer with classes back-to-back-to-back. I've taught family-style workshops on grammar and poetry composition, and am now teaching a family workshop on Shakespeare, exploring his life and times, his language and poetry, and giving an overview of his plays: comedies, histories, and tragedies.

Then I taught literary analysis classes on Alcott's Little Women and Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. Those classes take the most time and effort as I have to respond to dozens of student postings per day. It's fun but exhausting.

So the current Shakespeare class is my fifth Brave Writer class in five months. Wow.

Then on Thursday, my writing students at Heritage Christian School (our home school PSP) co-op Class Days submitted their MLA research essays. My Advanced Writing students turned in essays of 7-10 pages while the rest of the class is submitting 5-7 page essays. The time-consuming part is checking the students' sources, making certain that their quotations, paraphrases, and summaries are correctly done. Thus, I spend about two hours grading each essay. And I have only a week to grade all the essays and compute their final course grades (which is simplified greatly by using Engrade) as our final Class Day is May 31.

Add to that the fact that I'm still homeschooling the three boybarians and am in the midst of writing a serial novel that requires weekly chapter updates, plus taking care of the home front, and you have one buried ME.

So once we enter June, I should be back to a more regular posting schedule here. Thanks for your patience!!

Warmly,


No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin