Monday, July 21, 2014

The Writing Life...or Not


While I have been trying to write away this month toward my goal of 30,000 words for Camp NaNoWriMo, I'm just not getting there.

Yes, I'm teaching an online course in writing Fan Fiction for Brave Writer, and yes, we've had a lot going on in our family. But the writing just isn't happening.

I did manage to write a short story of 3000+ words that has a nice twist for an ending. I want to go through and revise/edit one more time before I post it online. The idea came to me back in May when I had no time to write, and while the deadline for the story contest from which the prompt was taken is long gone, the idea hasn't left me alone, and I'm pleased with the almost-final result.

I have the next chapter of my novel ready for revising/editing as well; I hope to post both this week.

But that's really only about 10K words. It's far better than nothing, and I plan to keep drafting the next few chapters of my novel this month to see how far I can get. This fall's teaching schedule is going to be absolutely crazy, so I won't have much time to write at all as I'm teaching online courses at Brave Writer straight through from September 3-December 23, including time to grade essays. I start teaching my two classes at our homeschool co-op on September 11, and before all these courses, I'll start our 18th year of homeschooling and my final year of teaching two students at home (B in 9th and J in 12th) during the last two weeks of August.

Our homeschooling corner--of course, it's only this neat and organized on our first day of school! 

So in the spirit of trying to write as best I can this month plus as much as I can in August as I prep all of these courses and our homeschool year, I posted two new writing quotations this week for inspiration:

"What is wonderful about great literature is that it transforms the man who reads it toward the condition of the man who wrote it."

~E.M. Forster


"Literature is a luxury; fiction is a necessity."

~G.K. Chesterton

So thanks for reading, and I hope that you have a wonderful July as you also write, read, work, and do whatever you do. And now it's back to Camp NaNoWriMo to try to reach at least near 30,000 written words...as soon as I grade my students' first flash fan fics (300-1000 word stories) for our Brave Writer summer class.

Writing rather feverishly,
 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin