Saturday, June 10, 2023

A Little E.E. Cummings for a Sunday Morning

E.E. Cummings, Poet and Artist

I came across this poem which I posted to my blog nearly thirteen years ago. I had completely forgotten about it, and now I just have to share it with you (again). 

At Sunday services at Blessed Trinity Church (Anglican), I usually read aloud a hymn from the hymnal as a poem, but I think that I will share this poem instead. E.E. Cummings is my favorite poet, and one of my prized possessions is a copy of Complete Poems: 1913-1962 by E.E. Cummings published by Harcourt Brace and given to me by a co-worker at the Harcourt Brace Jovanovich (HBJ) Bookstore in 1989. It's long out of print, and Tam covered the book jacket with a library-quality protector, and it now graces the prized position at the exact center of my poetry bookshelf. 

Here is the poem; I hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do:

                                     77

i am a little church(no great cathedral)
far from the splendor and squalor of hurrying cities
-i do not worry if briefer days grow briefest,
i am not sorry when sun and rain make april

my life is the life of the reaper and the sower;
my prayers are prayers of earth's own clumsily striving
(finding and losing and laughing and crying)children
whose any sadness or joy is my grief or my gladness

around me surges a miracle of unceasing
birth and glory and death and resurrection:
over my sleeping self float flaming symbols
of hope,and i wake to a perfect patience of mountains

i am a little church(far from the frantic
world with its rapture and anguish)at peace with nature
-i do not worry if longer nights grow longest;
i am not sorry when silence becomes singing

winter by spring,i lift my diminutive spire to
merciful Him Whose only now is forever:
standing erect in the deathless truth of His presence
(welcoming humbly His light and proudly His darkness)


E.E. Cummings


In addition to enjoying Cummings' poetry, I have also come to appreciate his paintings; this one is my favorite thus far: The Artist's Mother:


And this was the first painting by Cummings that I encountered: Patchen Place:


 And this one I saw for the first time tonight as I draft this post: Bouquet in White Vase:



 Wishing you a lovely and peaceful Sunday,



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin