Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nov PAD Poem #23


The November PAD Poetry Chapbook Challenge prompt for Day 22 was to write a poem that takes a stand. My poem is a rather personal take on this prompt, one I have to deal with many times each day, sometimes more easily than at other times....

Thus I Take a Stand
I take a stand,
a pain-filled one--
a stand elemental
and very, very basic.
From sitting at the dining table,
my hand grasping the crook
of my cane, feverishly white-knuckled--
crazily shaking as if Parkinson's
rather than Rheumatoid Arthritis
grips me, I put weight
on the cane and with
great care and concentration,
I rise to my feet.
This simplest of actions for most
can be the greatest feat of my day--
a miracle of true consequence.
Thus I take a stand.


Copyright 2010 by Susanne Barrett

Truly, rising from my chair during Thanksgiving dinner this afternoon felt just like this--hand and arm shaking as I sought to rise. Most days it's not this bad, but sometimes it is very difficult to stand--and even more challenging to remain standing.

Taking my stand,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin