Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saint Patrick's Day


Today, March 17, is, of course, Saint Patrick's Day. As a catholic Christian (note the small "c" which denotes a universality, not necessarily Roman Catholic although I love my fellow Roman Christians dearly), I enjoy discovering the Christian roots behind many secularized holidays...rather, holy days.

So while our secular society celebrate the day with green beer, parades, and green everything (let's not go there, shall we?), we Christians remember the missionary behind the corned beef and cabbage, Patrick, a Britain boy kidnapped by Irish pirates, who after escaping, returned to Ireland to share the Gospel of Christ with openly hostile pagans.

I've written posts in the past on Saint Patrick, relating his story; I won't repeat myself but instead will share last year's post which includes links to past postings on Saint Patrick:

Celebrating Patrick, Missionary to Ireland

In honor of Saint Patrick and Irish culture, I thought I'd post today's "Poem of the Day" from the American Academy of Poets. The tune is very familiar, but do we ever listen to the lyrics?

Danny Boy
by Frederick Edward Weatherly

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And when you come, and all the flowers are dying
If I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.
Originally written in 1910 then adapted to the melody in 1913, "Danny Boy" has become a sort of unofficial ballad of Irish Americans. Here's some additional information from Wikipedia: "Danny Boy."

And let's finish with one of the many prayers attributed to Saint Patrick:

May the Strength of God pilot us.
May the Power of God preserve us.
May the Wisdom of God instruct us.
May the Hand of God protect us.
May the Way of God direct us.
May the Shield of God defend us.
May the Host of God guard us.
Against the snares of the evil ones.
Against temptations of the world

May Christ be with us!
May Christ be before us!
May Christ be in us,
Christ be over all!
May Thy Salvation, Lord,
Always be ours,
This day, O Lord, and evermore. Amen.
So I wish you all a blessed remembrance of Saint Patrick today and of Irish culture's place in history as Irish monks are credited with preserving much of Western Culture, especially Christian Culture, during the Dark Ages.

May we all share our faith with the brilliance and fervency of Saint Patrick in our increasingly secular country and world, in the strength, power, grace, hope, and love of Christ Jesus our Lord!

Happy Saint Patrick's Day,

1 comment:

Joules said...

MM-mm...a great post for St. Padddy's.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin