Thursday, March 17, 2011

Celebrating Patrick, Missionary to Ireland


I have often written about Saint Patrick, one of my favorite saints, on this blog. Rather than rewriting, I thought that in remembrance of this amazing man of God I would direct you to some of my posts of years past.

So feel free to join me in remembering and celebrating Saint Patrick, Apostle to Ireland, with these posts:

Saint Patrick's Day

Saint Patrick, British Missionary to Ireland

The Breastplate Prayer of Saint Patrick

Saint Patrick's Prayer for the Faithful

One of my favorite sermons ever was one by our former youth/worship pastor, now Pastor of La Vina Community Church in Miami, Rollo Casiple, who preached on Saint Patrick during Advent, of all times. But he helped us to visualize so clearly Patrick's relaying of the Gospel to the pagan Irish King that I almost felt as if I were there at Slane Castle myself on that Resurrection Sunday 1500+ years ago. Of course, having just watched U2's Slane Castle concert on DVD earlier that week aided my visualization greatly, but that's another post....

From the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, a Collect for "A Saint's Day":

O Almighty God, who hast called us to faith in Thee, and hast compassed us about with so great a cloud of witnesses; Grant that we, encouraged by the good examples of thy Saints, and especially of Thy servant Saint Patrick, may persevere in running the race that is set before us, until at length, through Thy mercy, we, with them, attain to Thine eternal joy; through Him who is the Author and Finisher of our faith, Thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
So I wish you all a blessed remembrance and joyous celebration of the life, ministry, and prayers of this incredible missionary. May we serve our Lord with similar devotion, submission, courage, and bravery as we walk in the footsteps of Saint Patrick and countless Christians along the Pilgrim Pathway that leads to eternal communion with Christ our Lord.

God's blessings be upon each of you this Saint Patrick's Day, my friends,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin