Saturday, July 4, 2015

Happy Fourth of July!


Law Street Beach on the 5th of July last year--early (before the crowds return!)

We're heading to my parents' place at the beach today and tonight. Living just half a block from Law Street Beach in Pacific Beach, my parents always invite the whole crew down for the 4th. The beaches are extremely jam-packed, so I usually just go for a walk on the boardwalk rather than face the sandy crowds and the stickiness of sunscreen. I'd rather hang out on the deck and enjoy the sunshine and the view in relative peace.

Sunset from my parents' deck

Keith refuses the crowds--not that I blame him; he'd rather enjoy a quiet house than the beach crowds and my semi-insane family. I love watching the sunset first from the deck, and then the four-five fireworks displays visible from the deck starting at nine, and then Sea World puts on their display at 9:30; we "oooh" and "aaah" while eating dessert. Elizabeth made peppermint brownie bites and orange protein balls (Wild Orange oil, honey, dried cranberries, almond butter, and coconut, all rolled in coconut and chilled-yum!), and we'll pick up some ice cream to go with it.

In honor of Independence Day, I thought I'd post the same poet distributed this morning by the Academy of American Poets in their Poem-a-Day e-mail:

View this email on a browserForward to a friend
http://academyofamericanpoets.cmail2.com/t/y-l-dltjkrk-jrjudulttr-u/
July 4, 2015
 

I, Too

 
Langston Hughes
 
Langston Hughes was born on February 1, 1902 in Joplin, Missouri. He is the author of The Weary Blues (Knopf, 1926) and Montage of a Dream Deferred (Holt, 1951), among other works. He died on May 22, 1967 in New York City.
Wishing you all a joyous celebration of our nation's independence,



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin