Sunday, May 22, 2011

New Quotation of the Week: A Little Humor

Anne Lamott speaking at PLNU
Ann Voskamp of A Holy Experience

Two of my favorite writers are Annes--one with an -e and one without, and both have greatly influenced my faith life.

Anne Lamott's trilogy of books, Traveling Mercies, Plan B, and Grace Eventually, are among my favorite Christian books...and this is from an avid reader who doesn't read much Christian "literature" (and yes, I use the word "literature" with "Christian" loosely). Lamott sees Christianity through a very different "glass darkly" than I do, but I adore the freshness she brings, her transparency, her dedication to writing Truth whatever the personal cost to her. Her books are part autobiography, part wise essays, part hilarity, part eyes-tearing-up, and are all-important, life-impacting, truth-exposing works. My Quotation Journal is filled with pages of quotations from her books. I think only Oswald Chambers outranks her in the number of quotes I've scribbled in my journal.

And my "Ann without an -e," Ann Voskamp, I first met on her amazing, incredible, beautiful, thought-provoking, poetic, and transparent blog, A Holy Experience. And now I own her first book, One Thousand Gifts, although I've had very little time to pick it up. I'm very much enjoying the quotation calendar that came with the book when I ordered it from Dayspring. Her homeschooling wisdom, her life experience, her beautiful phrases and photographs--Ann Voskamp is definitely a favorite.

So this Lord's Day (which I hope it will remain if I type quickly enough!) I post a quotation of Lamott's that Ann Voskamp posted on her blog--the perfect combination of two of my favorite living writers....

"Joy is the best makeup. Joy, and good lighting."
--Anne Lamott, quoted by Ann Voskamp on A Holy Experience
So I wish you all a blessed week ahead! I hope that I shall be able to post more here this week, but I have MLA research essay rough draft conferences all week for my co-op students at Heritage Christian School's Class Days, plus my online Shakespeare class to write lessons for and respond to their assignments and comments.

So it's going to be a crazy week...I would so appreciate your prayers for peace and sanity despite the sheer insanity....

God's peace be yours (and mine), this day and always,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin