Sunday, April 21, 2013

Quotation of the Week



In celebration of National Poetry Month, I've been posting a quotation about poetry on Facebook every day. My Quotation Journal, which I started in August of 2001 (yes, nearly twelve years ago), is very nearly full; this month I started writing on the final page of the journal.

I have dedicated an entire section of the Quotation Journal to quotations about poetry, and I've been choosing one to share each day. My goal was to post a quotation about poetry for each day of National Poetry Month, but becoming ill last week rather derailed my posting for several days.

Here is today's (Sunday's) quotation about poetry; it's one of my favorites:

"It is the job of poetry to clean up our word-clogged reality by creating silences around things." 
~Stephen Mallarme, French poet (1842-1898)

Isn't that lovely? It's so true--we need "silences around things" in order to truly see and comprehend the depth and breadth and meaning of what is right under our noses. It's not in the big, beautiful events that we see meaning and significance; it's in the ordinary, every-day occurrences that are so easily dismissed in which truth lurks, waiting to be unearthed.

So try to unclog words this week in order to hear the silences and truly comprehend the significance of  the ebb and flow of our daily lives.

Happy Poetry Month!!

Poetically yours,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin