Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Perspective from The High Calling


There are hundreds, nay thousands, of Christian daily devotionals at our fingertips, thanks to web sites, traditional books, e-books, etc. It's all too easy to become overwhelmed by all the choices before us, or to get wrapped up in reading so many that little of God's Truth truly sinks into our minds and hearts.

While I have four traditional book devotionals I use at home, I've narrowed my online daily devotionals to only two: Saint of the Day from AmericanCatholic.org because I love learning about God has worked through the ordinary lives of Christians through the centuries, and Daily Reflections from The High Calling

With Advent just around the corner, I have been praying and debating over which materials to use for Advent this year (this Sunday is indeed the First Sunday in Advent, the beginning of a new Christian Year!). And as I played catch-up with my inbox after grading research papers all day yesterday, I was thrilled that Monday's Daily Reflection from The High Calling included a link to a FREE Advent devotional! Yay!! Here's the link for those of you who would like a copy. It's a PDF which I promptly e-mailed to my Kindle, so I'm all set for the season now: Free Advent Devotional.

So with Advent coming up this Sunday, this past Sunday was the Sunday Before Advent, also known as the Feast of Christ the King. Here's the Collect from the Book of Common Prayer 2011:

SUNDAY BEFORE ADVENT: CHRIST THE KING

THE COLLECT:
ALMIGHTY and eternal God, who restores all things in your Son, the King of kings and the Lord of lords; Stir up, O Lord, the wills of your faithful people, so that we may abundantly produce the fruit of good works and be abundantly rewarded in your eternal kingdom; Through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and rules with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen. (References: Revelation 19.16; Psalm 110.3; Philippians 2.13; Galatians 6.9; 2 Corinthians 9.6)

THE READINGS:
Jeremiah 23.5-8; John 6.5-14; Psalm 85; Hebrews 7.1-7

And here is the Daily Reflection from The High Calling for Monday, November 23 which I found both inspiring and convicting. We all need the gift of perspective, especially if we're going through a particular rough patch. A Godly perspective makes all the difference in our hearts and minds despite the troubling circumstances swirling around us.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving, everyone!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin