Saturday, October 22, 2016

More Reviews of Recently-Read Books

I have been so busy with teaching three online Brave Writer courses this autumn that my book review posts from Goodreads have fallen sadly behindhand. I tend to read variations of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice for two reasons: firstly, I am currently working on two novellas in this genre, and secondly, I haven't the brain power to meet and get to know new characters, so I stick with long-beloved book series or Austen variations. Some of these reviews date back to late August, but I'll try to post a few groupings over the next week to catch up completely.

Oh, and I rarely give "5" scores except for incredible classics such as Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Hamlet, etc. So a "4" on a non-classic is really a great score--it means that I enjoyed the book very much indeed. And a "5" on a non-classic is really a "Wow!!"

The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet by Caitlin Williams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet is not a short novel, but I managed to finish it in fewer than 24 hours, partly because I took a sick day and partially because I simply couldn't put it down. Darcy meets Elizabeth Bennet when she is only 15, and mayhem ensues, with Elizabeth squarely in the middle. I don't want to write anything further because I don't want to spoil the myriad twists and turns this story takes over a six-year period. But it's an immensely satisfying read...and is definitely impossible to put down. I strongly recommend reading this book when you can clear a day to enjoy it all in one (very long) sitting, because it's quite the roller-coaster ride!!

I've given the "5" rating to only a handful (as in fewer than five) Pride and Prejudice variations out of the hundreds I've read over the past few years, but this one definitely deserves it!

Although I've read this book on Kindle Unlimited, I may have to invest in my own copy so that I can return to it again and again.

(Yes, it was *THAT* good!!)


Darcy's Ultimatum: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Darcy's Ultimatum: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Jennifer Joy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another wonderful variation of Austen's Pride and Prejudice in which Jane and Elizabeth attend the London season with the threat of marrying Mr. Collins hanging over Elizabeth's head if she does not marry during the three months. And Darcy has a similar ultimatum: after Anne de Bourgh's rejection of his suit, he must marry within three months or his father will disinherit him. And then mayhem ensues (as it always does as soon as Elizabeth and Darcy meet). ;)

I have become quite a fan of Jennifer Joy's variations of Austen's novels; she writes with humor and depth at the same time. This is the first of the "Cousins" series, and I am definitely going to read the next two books in the series!


An Heir for Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Short Story An Heir for Pemberley: A Pride and Prejudice Variation Short Story by Jane Grix
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A sweet short story of the birth of Darcy and Elizabeth's first child, written in third person from Darcy's point of view. I would have loved to have had this vignette expanded somewhat because it is indeed *very* short, but it was a lovely read nevertheless.




The Angel of Grove Street: A Novel of the Darcys and Bennets The Angel of Grove Street: A Novel of the Darcys and Bennets by Don Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A delightful variation of Pride and Prejudice, The Angel of Grove Street shows us a very strong and independent Elizabeth who, after the death of her father at the news of Lydia's elopement with Wickham, transitions from country girl to a woman of the city. Living with Kitty at the wealthy Gardiners' after Jane's marriage to a doctor, Elizabeth devotes her time to working at and to singing to help fund Hope House, a charity for homeless girls. This charity remains dear to Elizabeth's heart after Lydia's disappearance two years previously. But while Elizabeth catches the eye of two suitors of the Ton, Darcy and a young Earl, she remains too scornful of the Ton and too independent to marry either man, good though they may be. And the story rolls on from there....

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this very well-written variation was written by a male author, and I was further pleased to come across a nice long list of previous Austen variations written by Don Miller. I think I will be reading many more of them in the future.... ;)



Earning Darcy's Trust: A Pride & Prejudice Variation Earning Darcy's Trust: A Pride & Prejudice Variation by Jennifer Joy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Another wonderful and thought-provoking variation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in which Darcy learns to trust and to depend on others, including Elizabeth, in order to protect his family against the wiles of Wickham and Caroline Bingley. A terrific plot with a theme that should make us all consider trusting others rather than trying to handle our problems all alone.



Progression Vol. 1: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice Progression Vol. 1: A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice by Jodi L. Covey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first read Progression (now separated into two volumes) on FanFiction.net, and I was enthralled! I absolutely adored it, and re-reading it now was even better. A delightful continuation of Austen's Pride and Prejudice, chapters 1-36 may be found in Volume 1 and chapters 37-61 may be found in Volume 2.

Starting with the Darcys' double wedding with Bingley and Jane, we follow William and Elizabeth through their honeymoon period and into Elizabeth's (and Georgiana's) introduction into London Society at the behest of Darcy's aunt, the Countess of Matlock. Caroline Bingley is also pursued by the mysterious Marquess of Thornhaugh. Anne De Bourgh manages to stand up to her mother and remove herself to London for the Season. And Colonel Fitzwilliam goes against his family in order to go to war against the French in the Spanish Peninsula.

Much more happens in both volumes of Progression, but I'll leave that for you to enjoy...and enjoy it you will!



Second Impressions Second Impressions by Amy George
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A very different variation of Austen's Pride and Prejudice, Second Impressions begins two years after Darcy and Elizabeth part at Lambton with the news of Lydia's elopement with Wickham. Afraid to meet Darcy after the ruin of her family and especially after he does not return to Hertfordshire with Bingley, Elizabeth travels to Boston to stay with her cousin, Emeline. After Lydia marries Wickham and Jane marries Bingley, Elizabeth begins her journey, requesting Jane, who now lives a very short distance from Pemberley, to not write her any news of Darcy. But with the news that Jane is again expecting after the birth of twins a year previously, Emeline persuades Elizabeth to returning to England and even accompanies her despite her disdain for the many rules of the ton.

Much has happened during those two years in Darcy's life, and Elizabeth returns to Derbyshire to find quite a different Darcy--a gaunt, haunted man. What can Elizabeth do to revive this shell of the man with whom she had been falling in love before she left? And whom does the highly independent American cousin Emeline (despite her jaded past) find to marry in staid old England?


That should be enough reviews for now. I'll post a few more in the coming week. Kindle Unlimited is wonderful--that's how I could manage to read so many books for so little cost! :)

Reading with you,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin