Thursday, April 14, 2011

Poem-in-Your-Pocket Day!


Today is THE DAY.

National Poem-in-Your-Pocket Day.

So as I leave to teach my co-op writing classes (in about five minutes while I gulp down yogurt), I have two poems tucked in my pocket, one original and one by my favorite poet, ee cummings.

So along with "Anyone Lived in a Pretty How Town," I have this one of mine that I may share as well:

Easter Life
Proudly he shows his egg
dyed greenly-blue--
a small earth
of continents and seas
enclosed in his palm.

Child, you hold a world:
beneath colored surface
the boiled skin glistens whitely,
encircling a sterile yolk--
a life once possible.

Your life, mine--
all life possible,
enclosed in His palm
because,
as sun peeps between hills,
the whitened stone yields--
revealing His deserted tomb.


Susanne Barrett

So.....

What's in your pocket???

Wishing you a happy day of poetry,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin