Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Walking Humbly with Our God


Keith has promised to make me one of these "personal kneelers"--called a prie-dieu, which means "before God."

Because, for me, it's all in the position.

I pray best on my knees.

It isn't comfortable for long prayer sessions, granted--especially for me whose knees give way at the best of times. But there's just something about kneeling that sets my heart in the right place for prayer.

When Father Acker was Rector of Christ the King in Alpine, my favorite part of Friday morning worship was the kneelers. Oh, I loved the beautiful stained glass windows, the majestic altar, the scent of beeswax candles, the fragrant fog of incense, the simple white adobe walls hung with icons beautiful. But for me, it was all about the kneeling.

It's akin to taking off shoes on hallowed ground. Kneeling is about prayers holy--set apart--beyond the ordinary.

It's not about groveling. Not when He bids us to "come boldly before the throne of grace." No, there's no groveling in prayer. Humility is not groveling.

But in prayer there's mercy and grace, love and confidence, and when we bend the knee, we worship Him with body as well as with mind, heart, and soul.

Kneeling for me means worshiping God with all that I am, recognizing the glimpses I see of all that He is--He who is the great I AM. He is God ever-present, ever-ready, ever-willing to hear and love and answer and advise and comfort.

Kneeling reminds me of who I am--creation--bowing before who He is--Creator.

So how can I not kneel?

I am reminded of the sung words to Micah 6:8:
"He has shown you, O man, what is good, and what the Lord requires of you: but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God."

I am also reminded of one of my favorite Collects in the new Book of Common Prayer 2011:

For Confidence [Note:In Latin, con=with; fide=faith, so confidence means "with faith"; I love that!!]
O GOD of peace, you have taught us that in returning and in rest we shall be saved, and in quietness and in trust we shall be strengthened; By the power of your Spirit, we ask you to bring us into your presence where we may be still and know that you are God; Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

And of course, I am further reminded of my favorite line from my favorite Christmas carol, "O Holy Night":
"Fall on your knees;
O hear the angel voices!"

So as we walk humbly and with confidence before our God, He reveals glimpses of His glory to us--and how can we not respond by falling to our knees in humble worship before Him?


Kneeling before the King this day,


1 comment:

Xpi said...

A prie-dieu (French: literally, "pray [to] God"
Nice Blog: prie Dieu por moi.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin