Sunday, August 21, 2011

Quotation for the Week...and Sabbath Rest


This summer is nearly over.

Only one more week remains, then school begins on August 29, along with my new Brave Writer MLA Research Class.

My goal this summer has been to slow down, read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts slowly and meditatively, chewing on each chapter and pondering how to apply each lesson to my life.

And just slowing down enough to truly SEE is a lesson all by itself--a valuable lesson that I am hoping and praying to learn and apply.

Part of this slowing down is taking as much of a break from my laptop on Sundays as possible (which is why I'm drafting this Saturday evening to post early Sunday). I'll read e-mail and possibly do a little Brave Writer work from time to time, but my goal is to stay off the computer as much as possible.

Last Sunday night I played gin rummy with our boys. And over the afternoon time I read a little and napped a lot. It was lovely to sssssslllooooowwwwww down and just BE.

And thus my quotation for the week is the theme of Ann Voskamp's beautiful and full-of-grace corner of the blogosphere, A Holy Experience, from which I copied these lines into my Quotation Journal:

"Earth is crammed with heaven,
and every common bush afire with God;
and only [s/]he who sees takes off [her/]his shoes.

The rest sit around it and pluck blackberries."


--Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Obviously I am a huge fan of Mrs. Browning, especially when our only daughter is named after her, for how could I resist when God gifts me a husband with the surname "Barrett"?

Lord, I pray that You will help us all to truly see the grace of Your world, the beauty in Your people, and the Love in Your eyes, from this day forth and always.

Have a blessed Lord's Day, a full-of-grace Sabbath rest!

Seeing His grace,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin