Monday, January 7, 2008

Back 2 Skool

Yep, our long three-week break is over, and this morning at nine sharp the four kids and I met at the school table. E sits in the small recliner by the window, hair mussed as usual in the morning, and with Dash snuggled up under the afghan with her. The boys and I take our seats on four sides of the large square school table that Keith built for us eleven years ago when we first started this adventure of home education.Bleary-eyed and gripping my 16 oz tea mug of English Breakfast, I pulled out the Bible, the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, the boys' Bible Field Guide, our memory verses (Exodus 20:1-17, the Ten Commandments), and our huge poetry anthology. And thus our eighteenth week of school commences.

By three in the afternoon I was finished with the boys and questioned E on her reading of The Odyssey. The boys still had their individual math and reading assignments to finish, but we were able to be done in fairly good time considering that we were all a little rusty regarding this school thing. I had time to prepare my writing classes for Thursday and also to grade one revision paper from my Intermediate class. I also was able to deal with plans for a Shakespeare class I'm thinking about teaching next semester in a class setting, possibly holding the class at Lake Murray as well as work out details regarding a new writing student to tutor.

So we're back, with piano lessons for J and T on Wednesday, Class Day writing courses to grade for, finish preparing, then teach on Thursday, math and algebra tutoring with Johanna on Friday, and the list goeth on. Despite the groaning at the school table this morning when I welcomed my four sleepy students back to academic endeavors, it's rather nice to be back in the swing of our school schedule. I enjoyed a full hour of Morning Prayer and Bible reading before school which is a huge blessing as well as being the very BEST way of starting back into our school routine.

May the blessings of the revelation of Christ in the Epiphany be yours this day and always!

1 comment:

Katrina said...

Thanks for the peek into your day. It was almost like being there. :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin