Monday, July 27, 2009

It's All About the Weather

(Photo of our home with typical afternoon thunderheads)

Summer days in the mountains of Southern California are hot, hot, hot. Sometimes downright miserable, in fact. Clouds build up over the mountains each afternoon, huge thunderheads piling upon themselves, bringing humidity each afternoon which combines with the 100+ degree heat. Summertime in the mountains definitely ranks as my least favorite season. I quite agree with Jane Austen's quote about excessive heat:

"What dreadful hot weather we have! It keeps me in a continual state of inelegance."
In fact, I posted this Austen quote as my "Quotation of the Week" in the sidebar today after my friend Misty posted it on Facebook. I think it so perfectly expresses the sensation of perspiration rolling down one's face and one's back, the torpor that accompanies each attempt at physical movement, the way the humidity ruins a perfect hairstyle.

I was a dripping mess of perspiration at Pine Valley Day on Saturday -- I'll post photos and a write-up today or tomorrow. I'm still in recovery mode after such a long and exhausting weekend.

And then there's the whole fire season thing, but that a whole 'nother issue that comes with the heat and the Santa Ana winds.

I can only hope for cool to reign in, say, November....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin