Friday, December 23, 2011

Published in Victoria's Reader to Reader

Victoria has long been my favorite magazine, and my dear college roommate and godmother of our kids keeps me supplied with annual subscriptions for my birthday each spring.

Where else can we read about travel, cooking (with recipes), gardening, home decor, fashion, antiques and collecting, and essays from the Writer-in-Residence, all in one magazine?? The photography is incredible, the writing style elegant, and the values of the handwritten word and leather-bound journals are close to my heart.

So to be published in my favorite magazine??

Priceless.

Yes, the January/February 2012 issue of Victoria published a little piece of my writing--something I sent in response to an e-mail call for pieces on "Winter Comfort Food." So over lunch one day, I jotted a little essay on Keith's amazing Tortilla Soup, describing his techniques and the value of warmth and family around the kitchen table he built.

Then I received an e-mail informing me that they were publishing my little letter/essay. Months past the composition, I had little memory of what I had written, so I was thrilled to receive the issue in the mail yesterday.

So I took a few (ha!) photos to show you the spread on which my writing appears....

The January/February 2012 issue of Victoria which also contains touring information on San Diego, including the historic Hotel del Coronado, beautiful Balboa Park, and scenic La Jolla, all of which are favorite stomping grounds and landmarks in our own family history as the Quayle Brothers Architectural Firm designed buildings in Balboa Park and parts of the Hotel Del, including the famous Crown Room.


Victoria's Reader-to-Reader spread on Cold-Weather Comfort Foods
I love Victoria's beautiful photography and layouts
My little essay sketch on Keith's tortilla soup appears on page 11 of this issue of Victoria
Here's the first column of my little piece
Here's the second column of my little piece
Here's the quotation in the inset


I'm sooo excited about the first publication of my prose in a major magazine!! It's just a little thing in a readers' column, but I'm still thrilled to see my name in print in my favorite magazine!!

Wishing you a blessed Christmas!!!

2 comments:

Joules said...

Mmm...sounds wonderful. Your name looks like it belongs in Victoria magazine. Congratulations.

Susanne Barrett said...

Thank you, Julie!! :) I'm so thrilled to be published in my favorite magazine. Vera has kept my subscription up for years! It's such an amazing magazine, and I am blessed to have my name appear within its hallowed pages. (LOL!)

Have a lovely Christmas, Julie! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin