Sunday, July 6, 2008

Seventh Sunday after Trinity



The Collect for today, the Seventh Sunday after Trinity (and to be prayed throughout the week by all Anglicans using the 1928 Book of Common Prayer):

Lord of all power and might, who art the author and giver of all good things; Graft in our hearts the love of thy Name, increase us in true religion, nourish us with all goodness, and of thy great mercy keep us in the same; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Before leaving for Lake Murray this morning, I prayed the Morning Prayers for the Sixth Day in A Diary of Private Prayer by John Baillie. Following is a portion that is a wonderful devotional prayer for all of us on this Lord's Day:

Grant that the remembrance of the blessed Life that was once lived out on this common earth under these ordinary skies may remain with me in all the tasks and duties of this day. Let me remember --
His eagerness, not to be ministered unto but to minister:
His sympathy with suffering of every kind:
His bravery in the face of His own suffering:
His meekness of bearing, so that, when reviled, He reviled not again:
His steadiness of purpose in keeping to His appointed task:
His simplicity:
His self-discipline:
His serenity of spirit:
His complete reliance on Thee. His Father in Heaven.
And in each of these ways give me grace to follow in His footsteps.

Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, I commit all my ways unto Thee. I make over my soul to Thy keeping. I pledge my life to Thy service. May this day be for me a day of obedience and of charity, a day of happiness and of peace. May all my walk and conversation be such as becometh the Gospel of Christ. Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin