Sunday, March 29, 2009

Twilight: The Movie


I just sat down with E and watched Twilight tonight. She received the books (all four) for Christmas, either as gifts or with gift cards/Christmas money and has read them each several times already. I, on the other hand, have read nary a word of Stephanie Meyer's ever-popular vampire series although after watching the film, I would like to.

The film definitely possessed shades of the Harry Potter films, with Edward Cullen played by Robert Pattison who portrayed Cedric Diggory in the fourth HP film. And the young girl playing Bella kept reminding me of Emma Watson who played Hermione -- mostly in her facial expressions as well as the overall shape of her face and eyes.

But the film was very well done, although I understand that it is quite different from the book. I was captured by Edward's intense stares from minute one, and was engaged in the characters and the story immediately. The climax of the story was exciting and unpredictable, and the denouement was well-done.

It's a story that most adults would appreciate and most tween and teen girls swoon over (metaphorically, of course). But it's a fast-paced film with exciting twists and turns, good character development, and believable conflict left wide open for the following films. It's well-worth checking out from the library or video store. E received the first copy from our library, so we had a virgin DVD, and tomorrow night we'll explore the second DVD of extra features.

But Twilight is good. Very good. And the books have definitely moved up my list to the very top and I will start them as soon as I can procure them from the library. For some strange reason, E refuses to lend me her books as I tend to read them in the spa and get them all steamy and wrinkly. Picky, picky girl.....

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin