Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Memorizing Colossians in One Year

holy experience


I have long read and discussed Ann Voskamp's wonderful blog A Holy Experience here. Ann challenges me, inspires me, and causes me to slow, to think deep, to grow wise. She feels like an "in-real-life" friend rather than someone who lives thousands of miles away in another country.

I think I feel so close to Ann because a) She homeschools a bundle of kids; b) She writes beautifully and her posts always resound with my poetry-lovin' heart; c) We are sisters in Christ, part of the boundless family of God, truly sisters-of-the-heart, and d) Although she's younger than I am in years, I look up to her as a "big sister" in wisdom; she teaches, provokes, listens, ponders, and rips away the folds under which I vainly attempt to hide my true self.

If she's brave enough to confess her shortcomings, brave enough to show us how she fails at times, brave enough to pick up the broken pieces and give them over to the One Who Heals Us, then I can be brave, too. Her blog beckons me, calls to me each day--helping me to become a more devoted follower of Christ, a more loving wife and mother, a more transparent woman who can lower her defenses and let others into her inner sanctum on occasion.

So today's post presents us with a challenge to memorize the Book of Colossians over the year of 2011. I love it! My kids aren't so sure that they can do it, but I think we will try as part of our family devotions at the opening of our home schooling day. Paul's Epistle to the Colossians is one of my favorite books in the Bible, and although memorizing isn't a strong point of mine, I am willing to give it a try.

And you can, too. Here's the link to Ann's materials: A Holy Experience: Memorizing Colossians in One Year. And here's a link to some details and updates for the project: A Holy Experience: Details and Updates for Memorizing Colossians.

I hope that some of you will join me and the many others who want to memorize this beautiful and wondrous Book of Scripture this year. I may not memorize the whole thing, but I will at least become all the more familiar with Colossians through this weak and flailing attempt.

Learning with you each day,



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin