Sunday, January 30, 2011

Quotations on Editing


After completing my largest editing project to date last Thursday, I thought I'd post a few words o' wisdom about editors and editing from QuotationsBook.com:

"I suppose some editors are failed writers; but so are most writers."
--T.S. Eliot

"In art economy is always beauty."
--Henry James

"There is but one art, to omit."
--Robert Louis Stevenson
So, as Shakespeare so ironically stated, "Brevity is the soul of wit"; thus, we editors say that the best writing says the best things with the fewest words. It's a skill that I am still learning as a writer and a poet. I love the magic of words, and it's sometimes quite painful to prune relentlessly. But it makes us better writers and poets when we clip and clip until we cannot clip any more.

Getting out my pruning shears once again,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin