Thursday, July 14, 2011

A "Deal"


One of the lovely things about Facebook is finding old friends. Not long ago an old friend from grade school (we've known each other since 1974--second grade, I believe) contacted me, and although we moved in different social circles in junior high and high school (i.e., he was a popular football player while I was working on the yearbook and literary magazine), we've become friends once again.

And mostly over books.

He went back to school, starting college at age 40, and has become as voracious a reader as I am. But he was shocked that I hadn't read one of his favorite books, and I was equally taken aback that he had not read any of the Harry Potter series.

Thus our "deal" was born.


The Deal: If I start reading Stephen King's Under the Dome, he'll start reading the Harry Potter series.

So today I picked up my copy of Under the Dome from our town's library. Elizabeth even snapped a photo of me at my desk holding my copy as proof that I now have a copy in my hot little hands.

It may seem unfair for me to read one book for this deal while he has to read seven, but Under the Dome is truly a TOME! It weighs 3 pounds, 12 ounces, and is 1, 072 pages long. So although the Harry Potter series is technically more pages by far, this print is smaller.

I feel it's an even deal. Well, fairly even, anyway.

So the deal is on, dear friend: Where's your copy of Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone?

Reading, reading, reading,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin