Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day


(The photo is from last year's visit to my grandfather's grave)

Although the observance of Memorial Day came rather early this year, we'll be celebrating on Friday, my grandfather's birthday, when we visit Greenwood Memorial Park in Southeast San Diego. My family has been buried there for generations. My four grandparents are buried overlooking the lily pond, as is my dad's brother; my parents will also have markers there. In another portion of the park is where my great-grandparents are buried, and in one of the oldest portions are the graves for the Quayle family, my great-great grandparents. I'll post more about my grandfather and his contribution during World War II after our visit on Friday.

But for today, here's the Collect for Memorial Day that Father Acker sent to us this morning:

Almighty God, our heavenly Father, in whose hands are the living and the dead; We give thee thanks for all those thy servants who have laid down their lives in the service of our country. Grant to them thy mercy and the light of thy presence, that the good work which thou hast begun in them may be perfected; through Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin