Monday, May 17, 2010

Quotation for the Week


While I adore older translations of the sacred Scriptures, especially the King James Bible and the Great Bible of 1540 which is used in the 1928 Book of Common Prayer because of their archaic and poetic language--yes, I'm a big fan of Middle English (the language of Chaucer)--and simple beauty, I'm also a big fan of Eugene Peterson's modern translation, The Message. I was fortunate to see and hear Eugene Peterson speak at the annual Writers' Symposium by the Sea at Point Loma Nazarene University several years ago. In fact, you can watch his interview with Dean Nelson, the Journalism Chair at PLNU, right here: Eugene Peterson Interview.

Although I'm not fond of the translation of the Psalms, I love the Epistles--they're beautifully done. And one of my favorites is this:

"The person who lives in right relationship with God does it by embracing what God arranges for him. Doing things for God is the opposite of entering into what God does for you."

--The Third Chapter of Saint Paul's Epistle to the Galatians, Verse 11

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin