Sunday, December 27, 2009

Third Day of Christmas/First Sunday of Christmastide, also Saint John, Apostle & Evangelist




A joyous Third Day of Christmas and First Sunday of Christmastide to you all!

Today also marks the Feast of Saint John, Apostle and Evangelist.

From the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, Propers for Saint John, Apostle and Evangelist:
The Collect:
MERCIFUL Lord, we beseech thee to cast thy bright beams of light upon thy Church, that it, being illumined by the doctrine of thy blessed Apostle and Evangelist Saint John, may so walk in the light of thy truth, that it may at length attain to life everlasting; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
The Epistle: 1 John 1:1-10 (using the English Standard Version)
1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we looked upon and have touched with our hands, concerning the word of life— 2 the life was made manifest, and we have seen it, and testify to it and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was made manifest to us— 3 that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ. 4 And we are writing these things so that our joy may be complete.

5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The Gospel: John 21:19-25 (using English Standard Version)
19 (b) And after saying this he said to him, “Follow me.”
20 Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them, the one who had been reclining at table close to him and had said, “Lord, who is it that is going to betray you?” 21 When Peter saw him, he said to Jesus, “Lord, what about this man?” 22 Jesus said to him, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow me!” 23 So the saying spread abroad among the brothers that this disciple was not to die; yet Jesus did not say to him that he was not to die, but, “If it is my will that he remain until I come, what is that to you?”

24 This is the disciple who is bearing witness about these things, and who has written these things, and we know that his testimony is true. 25 Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.

Saint John was the only one of the Twelve not to be martyred for The Faith, the one to whom Jesus entrusted His Mother as well as His Revelation. His Gospel is by far my favorite of the four, and its depth and breadth entrances me. The first chapter of Saint John's Gospel contains the most elevated language in the Scriptures: "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God...." 

And the beautiful sixth chapter, sometimes ignored when preached by evangelicals (in my experience, at least):
St. John 6:35:

Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst. 36 But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. 37 All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out. 38 For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will but the will of him who sent me. 39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. 40 For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who looks on the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.... 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your fathers ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. 50 This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.”


52 The Jews then disputed among themselves, saying, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?” 53 So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day. 55 For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. 56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. 57 As the living Father sent me, and I live because of the Father, so whoever feeds on me, he also will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven, not like the bread the fathers ate and died. Whoever feeds on this bread will live forever.” 59 Jesus said these things in the synagogue, as he taught at Capernaum.


60 When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” .... 66 After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him. 67 So Jesus said to the Twelve, “Do you want to go away as well?” 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.”
I could quote the Gospel of Saint John all day, but I would be writing an extremely long post! If one reads no other book in the Scriptures, it really should be the Gospel of Saint John. God's Word as transcribed by an uneducated fisherman sings with power, beauty, and glory. Inexpressibly awe-inspiring, truly the Word of the One who created the heavens and the earth, the sun, moon, and stars, the land and the oceans, and the creatures that walk this land. Whether Gospel, Epistles, or Revelation, John wrote all in God's power and might, somehow expressing that which is beyond words, but is still The Word.

Wishing you a blessed remembrance of St. John as well as a joyous Third Day of Christmas and First Sunday of Christmastide!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin