Wednesday, April 4, 2007

A Downloading Frenzy....

I've always listened to music from the late 50s to early 60s -- it's the music I grew up listening to. The music my parents still dance to when they can find a good band. The music I know the lyrics to, almost as well as the early-to-mid 80s music I was "into" in high school and early college and definitely better than what's come out since then, with the notable exception of my beloved U2.

San Diego used to have great "oldies" radio stations that would play the greats, but lately the station that used to play "oldies" from the 50s, 60s, and 70s has now stooped to the insulting play of "oldies" from the 80s! Yup, 80s music is everywhere (not that I'm complaining), but having the music of my youth being relegated to "oldies" when I'm only 41 is a bit hard to take.

But more than that, I miss the TRUE classics. So last night, i-Tunes gift card from my brother gripped in hand, I went on a downloading frenzy of the REAL "oldies but goodies." This is what I have bought and downloaded to my i-Pod:

The Platters:
"Goodnight Sweetheart"
"My Prayer"
"Only You"

Deon and the Belmonts:
"Runaround Sue" (my mom's favorite dance song)
"The Wanderer"
"Teenager in Love"

The Beach Boys:
"I Get Around"
"Fun, Fun, Fun"

Bobby Darin:
"Splish Splash"

Jan and Dean:
"Surf City"

Ricky Nelson:
"Garden Party"
"Travelin' Man"

Little Anthony and the Imperials:
"Tears on My Pillow"

The Drifters:
"Save the Last Dance for Me"
"Under the Boardwalk"

Now THOSE are classics. I think they'll be happy to join my old favorite Roy Orbison (a double CD set, thank you very much!) on my i-Pod. Now to borrow and download Mom's Elvis collection....

1 comment:

carrie said...

These sound like so much fun!! I can't wait to hear them at the beach.

Carrie

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin