Saturday, April 18, 2009

An Easter Poem

(Fra Angelico, Crucifixion)

Okay, so I've missed posting a few poems this week -- will have posted a few doubles and will post a few more so I can finish the month with 30 rough drafts.

Here's one I wrote on Easter Monday. I'm not sure I like it, but I'll post it anyway. If there are a couple of lines you like or a couple you don't, let me know. I really appreciate feedback as long as the intention is to help improve my writing, not just to tear down, kwim?

Easter 2009

Lent closes
as a book shut
for another year.
Opened with ashes,
the Lenten season concludes with
an empty tomb.

Lent closes --
the penitence,
the somber forty days of
fasting and prayer
replaced by joy,
revelation,
wonder,
miracle,
salvation.

Under the dark coldness of vigil,
I unheft my hideous burdens
into the lavish dawn
of Resurrection morn --
twirling childishly
as the first rays
cup my upturned face.

(c) 2009 Susanne Barrett

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin