Friday, April 2, 2010

NaPoWriMo Day #2



Day #2 at ReadWritePoem's NaPoWriMo Challenge is a rather fun prompt called The Ol' Acronym Switcheroo. Using the acronym for ReadWritePoem (RWP), I entered it into an acronym search engine and chose a couple of the suggestions in the poem. To be precise, I used two of the recommended acronymns and one I made up myself. Here's the product--which is extremely rough--a first draft really. But I don't have more time to devote to composing today before I leave for the Good Friday service with the Anglicans at Blessed Trinity.

RWP = Regular White Paper
What anxiety a simple piece of
regular white paper
plows up.
Virgin white lines
await my words--
easy script in blue
should flow from my fountain pen.
But I'm awash in thoughts
too elusive for mere letters and words,
seeking my inexpressible
domestic language,
soul-stirred and
passion-melded.


"Dare I disturb the universe?"
I ponder with T.S.,
the pounding pressure of performing
pinching my shoulders
as pen hovers over
random white page.
Self-doubt, my personal satan,
refuses to get behind me.
"You can't write badly
if you don't write at all,"
he hisses.

But stifling one's passions
causes massive damage--
requiring therapy of cursive
loops crossing pages,
loosing pent-up scars.
Emotions whirr,
tilting my world
until I dangle by my fingertips,
nails digging into flesh--
too fractured to move,
too terrorized
to put pen to paper,
to set loose
my demons and
my salvation--

on
regular white paper.
Copyright 2010 by Susanne Barrett

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is really great! I love the rythm and theme.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin