Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Yes, a Wee Bit Behind.... and Spring!


Yes, I'm four poems behind on National Poetry Writing Month (NaPoWriMo)--four poems behind on writing a poem a day for a month. Busy-ness has rudely taken over, wringing all poesy from my soul with its work-roughened hands. So rather than jotting four rushed haiku poems and calling all "GOOD," I'm going to write two poems a day for the next four days, including today.

Tonight I shared one of my NaPoWriMo poems with our local writing workshop: An Easter Life. A few changes were suggested by the group, and I've already implemented the suggestions as they were all "spot on" -- small word shifts like "sterilized" to "sterile" and "unhinged" to "yielded." Little improvements can make a marked difference in flow and mood, and I'm unspeakably grateful to our little group o' seven souls willing to listen, read, ponder, and comment, as we nudge one another toward powerful and true writing.

So another poem tonight. I asked my 4th-6th grade poetry class to compose acrostics for homework, so I may as well share one I jotted down with them and have since revised--a fitting little thing after planting Pansies and Sweet Williams in my porch posy-pots this weekend:

SPRING
Spring comes calling,
Peeking around corner of
Rain, wind, storm
Into greening warmth.
No further frost, snow, or ice--
Gardens may birth their beauty.
Copyright 2010 by Susanne Barrett

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin