Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Hip Homeschool Hop for 9/21/10


Welcome to New Friends and Current Friends on this week's Hip Homeschool Hop!

I'm Susanne, on our fifth week of Year 13 of homeschooling! We have graduated our eldest who is attending Point Loma Nazarene University in San Diego (near where we live), and have three boys still at home in grades 5, 8, and 10. We educate through Heritage Christian School and attend their East County II Class Days where I teach Intermediate and Advanced Writing for high school students.

A former adjunct professor in the Literature, Journalism, and Modern Languages Department at Point Loma Nazarene University, I quit my dream job of university teaching to educate our children at home, and, yes, sometimes I miss working with Chaucer's Canterbury Tales versus teaching phonics. But most days I'm content to slog through the multiplication tables (yet again!) and read California History aloud (once more!).

We use mostly Sonlight until grade 8 and then mostly ABeka for high school, along with Smarr Literature because I hate snippy anthologies. I also teach online writing courses at Brave Writer to families all across the globe; in fact, I have students from Singapore and Russia in my current class.

Our homeschooling story is on a separate page just under the header if you'd like to learn more about our educational philosophy. I also homeschool with chronic illness, and there's a page for that, too. And I, an evangelical, have fallen in love with the ancient church and with liturgical prayer and worship...and guess what? I have a page on liturgical prayer, too, if you're interested. :)

So thanks for stopping by! I'll be stopping by many new blogs today, too...one of my favorite things to do!

On the home schooling journey with you,



1 comment:

Hen Jen said...

Hi Susanne, it's nice to "meet" you here! Your blog is lovely, and I really like the quotes you have on your sidebar.

I have an old friend who is on staff at Point Loma, his name is Eric..small world :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin