Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Birthday, America!


We've been so busy this week with my sister and her two kids here from Montana that we've either been on the go or recovering from being on the go. This morning after church we're heading to the beach (along with just about every other San Diegan in the county) where my parents live for a day on the sand and a barbecue, followed by three different fireworks displays visible from my parents' upper deck. Rather than fighting the traffic, we'll be spending the night, having a HUGE sleepover with the boys sleeping on the outside deck and the rest of us scattered about the house.

To mark America's birthday, I decided to post a few of my favorite quotations about out country:

"When an American says that he loves his country, he means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea. He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and in which a man can draw the breath of self-respect." ~Adlai Stevenson

"There are those, I know, who will say that the liberation of humanity, the freedom of man and mind, is nothing but a dream. They are right. It is the American dream." ~Archibald MacLeish

"Yet America is a poem in our eyes; its ample geography dazzles the imagination, and it will not wait long for metres." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson, "The Poet," Essays, Second Series, 1844

"Where liberty dwells, there is my country." ~Benjamin Franklin

"Sometimes people call me an idealist. Well, that is the way I know I am an American. America is the only idealistic nation in the world." ~Woodrow Wilson

"Those who won our independence believed liberty to be the secret of happiness and courage to be the secret of liberty." ~Louis D. Brandeis

Happy Birthday, America!!!!

Wishing you all a glorious Independence Day,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin