Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Poem: Tone-Deaf?

Carry On Tuesday Prompt #45: Opening of Paul Lawrence Dunbar's “The Poet and His Song”:
“A song is but a little thing,
And yet what joy it is to sing!”

Tone-Deaf?
A little thing of
.....a song it is--
.....composed in keen stanza.
Muscular language
.....hefts soul-weight,
..........unburdening,
..........joy-bringing.
The union of Creator and poet--
.....a divine marriage
.....of meter and image,
..........birthing glory.

So I jot on,
.....seeking the mystical union
..........of starry climes and blotted ink.
But my images stumble,
.....tumble,
.....shapeless shirts in my dryer
..........spinning round and round.
I grasp vainly,
.....trying to capture nebulous thought--
.....burning my fingers on hot metaphor.
Impressive images escape
.....the tip of my pen nib
..........where ink enters the depths.

Is such grace intended for me?

Or am I as an appreciative listener doomed,
.....politely applauding others' gloried imagery
..........while stifling my own cracked voice,
..........unable to carry the tune?
Copyright 2010 by Susanne Barrett




3 comments:

Stan Ski said...

When I saw the title I immediately thought of myself!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I especially enjoyed the "shapeless shirts in my dryer" metaphor. Lovely!

Susanne Barrett said...

Thanks so much for the comments! :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin