Sunday, March 14, 2010

Quotation of the Week

Father Acker and Acolyte Benjamin

Liturgy, "the work of the people," is a beautiful thing. As we pray, worship, meditate, praise, sing, we are in the Presence of the King and Creator of heaven and earth. Liturgy refuses to be a "Sunday only" activity: each action of our daily lives can be an act of worship, an example of liturgy. I pray that my days can be thus consecrated, made holy by and through Him--each seemingly insignificant thought, word, and action set apart for His purposes. 

This quotation speaks to us of the power and glory of liturgy:
"The real 'action' in the liturgy in which we are all supposed to participate is the action of God himself. This is what is new and distinctive about the Christian liturgy: God himself acts and does what is essential."

Joseph Ratzinger, now Pope Benedict XVI

Father, may this week be consecrated to you, every act one of worship, a breath of living liturgy. Use my mind, my heart, my soul, my words, my actions, my very being, for Your glory this week, that others may see You in me and that my life may be set apart, holy unto You. Work in and through me this week, O Lord, in Your Love, Mercy, and Grace.


1 comment:

Amy said...

This understanding of liturgy has changed how I view my daily work as well--"it is ordinary things lifted up that are holy."
I can't wait for my own children to get to be acolytes. I was told that my 5 yr old daughter answered the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" at her dance class last week, "A Deacon." Haha!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin