Sunday, October 3, 2010

Quotations for This Week



As I thumb through my beloved Quotation Journal, with quotes scribbled in a rainbow of ink colours over the past nine years, I find myself drawn to some wise words I jotted down in July...about writing.

As one who hopes to regain my writing mojo, I hope these words o' wisdom will propel me to put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard) and start writing again--writing beyond blogging and journaling, although both are beautifully healing in their own way.

I feel rather like a ponderous desert tortoise, poking my head out to see if life is "all clear" for the moment so that I can gather my bravery around me and venture back into real writing.

I'm debating about National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) this year. I've done it for the past two years, so perhaps this year will be an editing year, somehow. I worked with the same novel over the past two NaNoWriMo's, writing half the first year and nearly finishing it the second year. But I am not happy with the overall quality of what I've written; it needs A LOT of work to even consider becoming something. I will ponder and debate some more before definitely committing...or not committing...to this year's NaNoWriMo.

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink."
--Honore de Balzac

"The [wo]man who writes about [herself/]himself and [her/]his own time is the only [wo]man who writes about all people and all time."
--George Bernard Shaw

"Thus, in a real sense, I am constantly writing autobiography, but I have to turn it into fiction in order to give it credibility."
--Katherine Paterson 
(I find this quotation to be SO TRUE!)
I hope that you writers/bloggers enjoy these quotations on writing and will cherish them and take them to heart as much as I do.

Quotationally yours,

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin