Friday, October 29, 2010

Seven Quick-Takes Friday


-1-

It's been a busy week. I was down sick for most of it but somehow managed to pull my stuff together enough to teach my two high school writing courses at Class Day on Thursday...which was the first day I had been able to eat my usual breakfast of yogurt with granola and toast. Seriously. But despite spending my afternoons this week watching Season 2 of Grey's Anatomy on cable, I did manage to pull together a few Quick Takes for you.


-2-


Okay, I've decided that there is no possible way that I can possibly do NaNoWriMo this year. I will be dealing with the most intensive part of my online MLA Research Essay Class at Brave Writer in November, so I just can't see being able to write 1700 words each day. What I need to do is edit what I have written in the two past challenges. And write my MLA book for Brave Writer. And keep editing the Book of Common Prayer project. So I think my plate is simply too full for NaNoWriMo this November. Sigh of sadness....


-3-



But since I can't handle NaNoWriMo this November, I've been considering a slightly different challenge. Robert Lee Brewer, editor of The Poet's Market, is hosting a Poetry PAD Chapbook Challenge for the month of November. Resembling April's NaPoWriMo, this challenge involves writing a poem a day in November, revising the poems in December, and submitting them in chapbook form in January. I'm quite seriously considering doing this challenge instead of NaNoWriMo. I don't have time to write 1700 words a day, but writing a rough draft of a poem each day...THAT I may be able to manage this November. I have only written one poem since July, so perhaps jumping back into composing poetry might be a good thing...a very good thing.


-4-



For a fun Halloween poetry adventure, check out The Poetry Haunted House at The Academy of American Poets. It's a fun literary tour through some rather spooky poems and places.


-5-



Ruminate Magazine is looking for some short fiction (like 140 words) on Sound and/or Silence. Here's more information on what they're looking for from their Facebook page: Ruminate Magazine Short Fiction Challenge.


-6-



I ran across this fun little do-hickey on someone's blog who was getting ready for NaNoWriMo. I plan to download and use this little writer's friend to help me enjoy writing a little more. Sometimes facing a blank white page is a scary proposition, so we'll see how Focus Writer helps to conquer the fear of the blank page and get those creative juices flowing!


-7-


Season 8 Finalists: Gretchen, Mondo, and Andy

Did anyone watch the Season 8 finale of Project Runway last night? I'm glad to see a woman win, but I truly hated Gretchen's collection. It was so...brown. And so prairie. And so dang depressing. As usual, the designer whose collection I liked the most, Andy, was the first out. I loved his delicate Oriental style and thought his silvery, glimmery collection was simply gorgeous. I vastly preferred Mondo's wacky collection over Gretchen's western casual...Mondo's clothing had such style, such joy, such panache. The judges fought long and hard over the decision, with Heidi Klum and guest judge Jessica Simpson preferring Mondo's collection while Nina Garcia and Michael Kors were adamant about Gretchen's work winning...and they prevailed. Ugh....

So (on this positive note), have a lovely weekend, all!

Wishing you all a blessed celebration of All Saints',

1 comment:

Takashi said...

Sorry to hear you're not doing NaNoWriMo. Still, that's the life of a teacher for ya :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin