Monday, November 1, 2010

PAD Poetry Chapbook Challenge: Day 1


Since there's NO WAY I have time for NaNoWriMo this month, I have instead joined the November PAD Poetry Chapbook Challenge hosted by Robert Lee Brewer at Poetic Asides on Writer's Digest.

Today's Poetry Challenge is a poem about change: closing a door, turning a page. Here's my attempt....

I Leave
After last kiss, final hug,
I leave her at the door--
her essentials settled,
pocked bulletin boards empurpled,
Pattinson emblazoned against fresh paint,
laptop prepared for frequent Skyping.
I leave her in this place, my place,
to syllabi, term papers, finals.
I reach forward, touch her cheek
pinked with anticipation,
and I ache empty.
I leave her behind,
driving away with a too-casual wave.


Copyright 2010 by Susanne Barrett

So we'll see how this challenge goes. Some of the poems will be crap, but I pray that some poems will approach something really authentic and plain old good.

Poetically yours,

1 comment:

sarah said...

Congratulations on making a good start! I remember it was napowrimo that first got me into poetry. An exhausting but exhilirating time! I wish you all that you need to succeed with your month of words.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin