Sunday, January 28, 2007

11/16/06: What I'm Reading...

After feeling too unwell to read anything of substance besides Harry Potter lately, it's nice to feel brainy enough to think about delving into some meatier books. Not that I mind reading Harry Potter -- I adore the series and think that Rowling is a genius. But reading something a bit more mature than juvenile fare will be a nice change.

Last night I just started Les Miserables, one that's been on my list for quite a while. I keep hearing how wonderful it is, and as I know very little about it, having never seen the musical, I'm looking forward to a new literary gem. However, it's a bit heavy to take in the spa to read; my arms can't support its weight on their own. It's definitely a sit-on-the-lap book at over 1200 pages hardbound.

Recently I read The Way of the Pilgrim, a Russian classic about a man in search for how to pray without ceasing. The entire book revolves around the "Jesus Prayer": "Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy upon me, a sinner." I haven't quite finished the sequel yet, aptly named The Pilgrim Continues His Way. I am planning on finishing it soon -- it's lovely and it definitely made a nice devotional when I subbed for Sunday School a few weeks ago.

I've also been reading a bit here and there of A Mother's Rule of Life. Written by a Catholic homeschooling mother, this book returns to the idea of a monastic rule along the lines of St. Benedict or Mother Teresa, as a way to keep our priorities straight as busy homeschoolers. I like what I've read thus far, plus it reminds me to read St. Benedict's Rule, which has been sitting in my bedside book stack for quite a while now.

Now I will admit that I picked up a stack of mysteries at the library today, which may mean that Les Mis gets postponed for a bit. I'm trying all new authors and have no idea if I'll like them -- Ghostwalk by Heather Graham, The Bookman's Promise by John Dunne, and Deadly Admirer by Christine Green. I despise racy mysteries, so I hope that they're clean, intriguing, and well-written; we shall see.

So that's what I'm reading. How 'bout you?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin