Sunday, January 28, 2007

11/27/06: Winter's A-Comin'

Today it's cloudy and cool -- drizzle is falling and the temp on my porch is 41 degrees. We somehow let the propane run out, so we're on wood stove heating for the rest of the week -- T is a pro at keeping it going, but the kids' rooms will get a bit cool. I suppose that we'll do school huddled up on the sofa in front of the stove under a warm blanket -- not a bad way to spend a drizzly day!

At least it finally feels like winter is around the corner -- the high 70s and low 80s of the last weeks made me a bit nervous, wondering if summer would EVER end here in Southern California. But today's light rain and grey skies makes me feel ever so cosy and warm inside -- with a fire going and Christmas cards stacked up, ready to start on.

With December coming on Friday, our church ladies' Christmas Tea on Saturday, and Advent starting on Sunday, winter is finally on its way. I just hope that the weather continues to match with the season -- I despise dry, hot Santa Ana winds in December!

I've a good start on Christmas shopping, and this weekend we'll bring out the *gorgeous* handsewn Advent calendar made by Keith's sister, Karla. The kids have decided that they want chocolate in the pockets this year -- last year I had wrapped little toys for them: bars of modeling clay, small knights in armor and their horses, barrettes, pens, pencils, etc. But this year the consensus is for Christmas-wrapped mini-Reeses peabut butter cups. Very well.

Yesterday I spoke with our worship leader, and he assures me that we'll be celebrating Advent at Lake Murray, complete with the beautiful Advent wreath Keith made two years ago. I need to buy wreath candles this week and get Michael the Advent materials he needs to arrange the services. I need to find that stuff tonight so I can take it to church tomorrow when I have our Lady Bereans study.

I have our family devotional out; we'll read Tabitha's Travels for the second year in a row, as well as read the Scripture verses for Advent from Focus on the Family. And for myself, I'm going to read a study on Mary by Elizabeth George -- there are exactly enough chapters in it for Advent. Perfect!

But enough dreaming! It's time for Lesson 26 of How to Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with B, snuggled with him in front of a roaring fire with a mug of good British tea.

Can life get any better?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin