Monday, January 29, 2007

Books in Progress....

I started thinking about the books I'm currently reading and have set aside for one reason or another. It's rather sad, actually; they are stacked in a lonely pile on my bookcase, set aside when "something better" (or more interesting to read) came in from the library. Perhaps listing them will help me to get back to them and have the satisfaction of completing them:

Shakespeare of London by Marchette Chute: I was realy into this very readable biography of Shakespeare when a load of library books, including Plague Journal, came in from the library. Her research is impeccable! I WILL get back to it NEXT.

The Pilgrim Continues His Way, translated by R.M. French. This is the sequel to the Russian classic The Way of the Pilgrim. I started this in the fall while on our road trip, and have taught on it in our adult Sunday School class. Both are in a single volume, and I really would like to finish it. Very deep and thoughtful book.

Into the Silent Land by Martin Laird. My chiropractor's wife sent this to me, as she gets a lot of review copies of book in her work at a Christian radio station. Subtitled "A Guide to the Christian Art of Contemplation," it's an intriguing book and a good read. I set it aside for a stack of library books (again).

A Mother's Rule of Life by Holly Pierlot. Based on the famous Rules by St. Benedict and other Orders, this book is written to the Catholic homeschooling mother regarding how to have time alone with God while being a wife, mother, and homeschool teacher who glorifies God throughout her day. Convicting and very practical, I tend to read it in snippets as I feel desperation take over my days.

Let Go by Francois Fenelon, an Archbishop of the seventeenth century. Reminding me strongly of Brother Lawrence's little book, this one I also started while on our fall road trip. It's a deep little thing that requires much thought and contemplation, and I need to get it back to its original owner, a strongly-Episcopal Chinese lady who attended our Bible study in the fall.

Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. I've started it twice and put it down because the copy I have is a HUGE hardcover that is too heavy for me to hold confortably. I have since found a cheap paperback and should have no more excuses.

I have also started Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship approximately three times, and I SHALL read it sometime. Along with Bonhoeffer, a large stack of Christian books sit on the bookcase and on the floor next to the bookcase, all of which require a bit more brain than I seem to have at the moment. Margery of Kemp, Julian of Norwich, Dr. Seaman's new title he sent me for Christmas, more books on contemplation, including two by Thomas Merton, plus Nouwen, Benedict, Underhill... all will have to wait a bit. I look forward to them greatly, yet somehow am drifting toward the "easy" reads that more easily distract my mind from my physical issues.

Well, here's to books started but not finished (as well as those purchased but not yet opened) ... rather like new acquaintances waiting to become true friends.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin